Sunday 6 December 2009

Football Fashion

Among my mixture of passions in life one of them is football. Unfortunately for my flatmates the new live update feature on BBC sport has enabled me to be annoyingly vocal about the efforts of various football teams. From red cards to miss shots I spur on my favourite teams, some depending on flair and city and others on team colours, sorry but for me the home colours for Dundee United leave them resembling forgotten Halloween decorations. For me nothing beats cheering on the home team even if they haven’t given me much to cheer about lately. With my wardrobe ransacked I throw on my old Falkirk top and sit glaring at the laptop screen willing them on. Depending on the team it creates rivalry between me and my flatmate and becomes a perfect opportunity to slag each other off and ring up previous defeats and failures in the league. Now as I have said unfortunately my home team have been on a journey of defeat and are apparently reluctant to want to end it after being so successful so I haven’t been able to win these verbal matches this season. Acknowledging the lack of impact of my verbal assault I instead turn my focus back to my team’s uniform and the ridiculous collar that was forced upon the shirts last season. After turning my own inside the neckline I remember even the players had opted to do the same noticing the fashion faux pa. Now when sports starts that regularly dress head to toe in trackies don’t want to be seen in the original design you know something has gone wrong. Fashion conscious sports women sighed a breath of relief upon the announcement that Stella McCartney would be designing for Adidas. Through this partnership sports clothing has changed from being mundane to being stylish. In gyms across the country women are battling the bingo wings without cracking out the stained baggy t-shirts and faded leggings. With fashion sportswear a must have for any stylish women wishing to get fit, the focus is beginning to shift from the actual workout to the clothes you wear. Of course I’m all for wearing nice clothes whilst among a group of my peers in a slightly embarrassing situation as I wheeze along the treadmill but merely stretching at the side to show off your latest attire is a step too far.

I’m sure also that the new technology these days means that the latest sportswear will help enhance performance or so you hope with the price tag attached to it. I can only hope that the latest developments in sports wear will help Falkirk earn some much needed points, but going by the results so far only a cloak of invisibility will help the strikers get into the box. So I resign myself to misery and disappointment; however at least I am happy in the knowledge that at some point a victory will arise. Now with a rival game on the horizon and a chance at those three points; let the bloodbath and slanging match begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment